Dental crowns are caps that are placed on top of a tooth to restore its shape, size, strength and look. Once crowns are fitted in place using cement, they encapsulate the tooth above the gum line.
There are several reasons why your dentist may fit a crown on your teeth:
- To support and cover a tooth that has a large filling making up the majority of the tooth.
- To shield a tooth damaged by tooth decay from chipping or to hold together the fragments of a cracked tooth.
- To restore a broken tooth or a tooth that has been worn down to its original shape and size.
- To secure a dental bridge in place.
- To conceal discolored and misshapen teeth for aesthetic purposes
- To cap a dental implant
Children who are at high risk for tooth decay may need dental crowns if they struggle to maintain a healthy home care routine.
Crowns are made from many different materials, all of which have different advantages. For the initial procedure, teeth are fitted with a stainless steel crown while the permanent crown is made from another material.
Crowns can be made from a metal alloy like palladium or gold which allow for more of the tooth structure to remain and diminish wear on opposing teeth. For aesthetic purposes, some individuals prefer porcelain crowns which can be fused to metal to match the color of your natural teeth.
Porcelain crowns may look better but they also cause more harm to the opposing teeth than metal or resin crowns.
Resin crowns are the least expensive option, but can wear down over time and are prone to fractures. Make sure to avoid hard candy and popcorn kernels with resin crowns.
If you feel that you may need crowns consult with your dentist to explore your options. Rauch Family Dental offers $549 Crowns. Call or come in today.